Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Portrait to Celebrate Darwin's 200th Birthday

Happy Darwin Day everyone,
My gift to Charles Darwin on his 200th anniversary is a humble portrait to a great man.

The 'Evolution' of Darwin
(acrylics on white posterboard)

This portrait attempts to show Darwin in three of his stages in life: as a seven-year-old boy in 1816, a young man in 1836, and in old age in 1868. The H. M. S Beagle is shown in the background. I will elaborate on the creation of this painting and on the original paintings I have based these Darwins on in my next post.

I don't feel it is finished yet. I still want to add a few things, fossils... I will continue on this one. Anyway, to all my friends in the web, happy Darwin Day!

3 comments:

Glendon Mellow said...

Dude!

Ambitious! I love the compositional flow, with the Beagle just charging in. The eyes are following me.

Merry Darwin Day, Bond!

(Of course, it's probably lunchtime on Friday for you or something, isn't it?)

Anonymous said...

Great Idea and Portrait, Pete!! I like it a lot! Happy (late) Darwin Day to you too. =)

Peter Bond said...

Thank Glendon and Raptor!