Thursday, June 10, 2010

I'm Back with more Blue Whale!

A month-and-a-half?!

Yes, it's been a while since I last posted.   I've been a bit busy; with end-of-the-year substitute teaching and privately tutoring ten students, the only art I've been able to produce is set painting for a Hamlet show and a coral reef painting I've started.  With all this, and the depression surrounding the oil spill, I haven't been up to posting.

But I'm back, and with an update on the new Beaty Biodiversity Museum at the University of British Columbia here in Vancouver!  Check out my previous post on the announcement and backstory here

Yesterday, I had some time off and decided to go check out the full Blue Whale skeleton in person! 


Unfortunately, the museum wasn't open yet!  Aak!  So instead of smashing through the glass and swinging from the bones, I decided to wait until Fall 2010.   But check out these photos of the mammoth whale, in full feeding pose, below!  Also, check out these official Flickr pics for more...

sooo big!

Click to enlarge!


Now to go work on my trilobite for ART Evolved's July Trilobite Time Capsule and my answer to the Philofossilizing question, "What is Palaeo-Art?"

Oh!  And I'm borrowing my sister's drawing tablet (Wacom Intuos 3) and trying to get my head around it.  Any insight or advice for tablet owners?

Cheers,
Bond.

4 comments:

Philly Art Girl said...

God, I know what you mean about depression and the oil spill. I think the worst part is feeling so helpless! It would be cool if we could do some sort of awareness thing about it on ART Evolved.

You should have smashed the window- that would have been a REALLY interesting post. Cool whale pics, anyway, though :)

BlacknickSculpture said...

Those pictures are awesome Peter!

Unknown said...

The UBC whale skeleton is amazing! Great pictures, thanks for posting. There is now another blue whale skeleton at the museum of Nature in Ottawa Canada, which is also very impressive. Now there are blue whale skeletons on either side of the country. There is more information on this at Canada's Got Treasures, which is also a space where you can share your images and videos with the rest of Canada.

Hamish,
Canada's Got Treasures, a VMC initiative

Dinorider d'Andoandor said...

beautiful animal!